In our previous articles, we briefly talked about wheelchair ramps and their history. In this article, we will talk about how a disabled ramp should be.
Wheelchair ramps have become very common nowadays. As these ramps have become widespread, it has become easier for wheelchair users to reach many places and benefit from many opportunities. However, there are still some problems in this regard. Building unusable wheelchair ramps are one of these problems. For this reason, it is necessary to determine how wheelchair ramps should be. Otherwise, wheelchair ramps will do more harm than help for wheelchair users. In this article, we will list the features that a wheelchair ramp should have.
- Wheelchair ramps should not be too steep. Wheelchair ramps should rise no more than 3 centimeters for every 30 centimeters.
- Wheelchair ramps should not be too narrow. Wheelchair ramps must be at least 100 centimeters wide.
- If a wheelchair ramp rises more than 20 centimeters, it must have handrails.
- At the start and end of the wheelchair ramp, there should be at least a 150 cm x 150 cm area where the wheelchair can maneuver.
- If the wheelchair ramp changes direction; For the wheelchair to maneuver, the turning area must be at least 150 cm x 150 cm.
- The surface of the wheelchair ramp must be made of smooth, stable, durable material and not slip in wet or dry conditions.
- The slope of wheelchair ramps should never exceed 12%. This slope should only be used when another person is assisting at very short distances.
- The beginning and end of the wheelchair ramp should be appropriate for comfortable use of the ramp.
Hope to see more useful wheelchair ramps, see you in our next article.